Sunday 3 February 2019

The Journey So Far

I've been starting to play around the edges of the KonMari method - have just realised the method has the same initials as me, that has to be a good omen - for the last few days after finally catching up with the show on Netflix. I'll be honest, at first I was just as overwhelmed as I was with the book, but by the end of the series I was feeling seriously fired up, although still a bit daunted by tackling this from where I am now.

I'll admit straight away I have not started properly. I should have taken all my clothes out and sorted from there. I decided to start off very small and see how I went. Over the last few days I have sorted out my socks, not necessarily keeping those that spark joy, more a first run of getting rid of those with holes, single socks and the pairs I hate. The survivors are now taking up a third of a drawer instead of a whole one, all nicely folded. I did the same with bras and knickers, and then moved onto my wardrobe. Once again this was more of a pre-emptive strike. I'd bought new hangers, and so went through the wardrobe to replace the old hangers, and throwing out clothes I knew 100% I didn't want. Whilst doing that, I did have some items of clothing that I was unsure about and so practiced holding them and seeing if this spark joy thing was even a thing. It did help me decide on a few things, and weirdly enough, thanking those things before putting them aside does help.

I've also bought Marie's new book, and reading that has helped explain in more depth some of the concepts I was struggling with, like how you decide if practical items spark joy. I've found a checklist which breaks down the "komono" section into smaller, more manageable ones to help cope with the enormity of that task. I have friends who are feeling like they want to give it a go too. There's no reason for me not to give this a go, just follow the steps and see where they take me, in fact, after doing the few practice/pretend runs on my clothes I do feel ready to start properly, get the whole lot out, pile 'em on my bed and go for it. 

Little steps so far:




No comments:

Post a Comment